When I first got to know that there’s a new local skincare brand in town, I immediately endeavoured to get a tube to try it for myself! As a local brand supporter, the motivating reason for me to want to try Allies of Skin’s very first product was simply because it’s a home-grown Singapore brand.
And as I understand the brand more, there are more reasons to love it other than the fact that it’s a Singaporean brand:
- The product was formulated after 2.5 years of research and development. This means that it’s not a run-on-the-mill OEM or reformulated product.
- It is free from 14 chemicals, containing no silicones, mineral oil, petrochemicals, parabens, polyethylene glycol, sulfates, GMOS, triclosan, DEA/ TEA (abbreviations for diethanolamine and triethanolamine, phthalates, drying alcohol, synthetic dyes and fragrances. Some of these ingredients have been studied to increase for cancer, especially after prolonged use.
- Product is chirally-correct. (In 1847, a renowned French chemist discovered that most molecules have two “mirror-image” parts. They are the same in all ways physically and chemically except how the individual isomers link together and react with other molecules. Chirally correct means that the product ingredients contains only the side of the molecules with the ability to give the desired results and discarding the other less effective or even harmful part of the molecular pair).
- It is allergy-tested, dermatologist-tested, non-acnegenic (does not cause acne) and non-comodogenic (does not clog pores).
- It is created after 10 revisions, extensive testing and six months of clinical trials.
- It’s an all-in-one product.
- It is created in small batches in US to ensure maximum freshness.
What type of product is the Allies of Skin 1A All-Day Mask?
In spite of its name, the Allies of Skin 1A All-Day Mask is not your usual mask. In fact, its texture and usage instructions suggest that it is more of an all-purpose moisturiser, to be applied as your everyday skincare routine. It promises a whole range of skincare and aesthetics benefits, including brightening, de-puffing, refining skin, tightening skin, increasing natural production of collagen and elastin, reinforcing skin’s barrier, reducing transepidermal water loss (water loss from the skin via diffusion to the surrounding atmosphere), and protecting the skin against pollutants in our everyday environment.
Did we like it?
I used the product on its own after toning and before applying SPF, skipping the rest of my usual skincare regime such as oils, essence, moisturisers and cream. I had initially incorporated the Allies of Skin 1A All-Day Mask as part of my regime but my sensitive skin ended up breaking out badly, perhaps due to the rich formulation of ingredients that cased my skin to over-react.
Skipping the rest of my regime and using just a small amount helped me witness the power of the product working hard for my skin – a truly all-in-one fuss-free product great for hectic lifestyles.
I love the sleek and monochrome packaging with the hygienic pump system. Its soft plastic tube means that I will be able to get most of the product out of the bottle easily compared to a hard bottle. Nicholas Travis, founder of the brand, believes that skin has no gender and created the product to be unisex and suitable for ages 20 to 60. It’s no wonder the modern and minimalistic packaging transcends age and gender!
The texture is of a slightly thicker gel consistency, in between that of a gel and a cream. Due to its thicker texture, I take a tad more time to massage the product into my skin and wait for it to be absorbed fully before applying my makeup. If you are used to using lighter skin care, simply go easy on the pump or use a face mist to lighten the texture.
Did my skin glow with a hydrated radiance? It did!
Just look at the stark before-and-after difference it made on the dry skin on my hand! I use the same amount of product pictured above for my whole big face. Just a tiny pump of the nutrient-rich product reservoir plumps the skin with healing moisture through the day with over 35 powerful actives. Definitely suitable for day and night use.
I do have my reservations on the product, though. Its super scientifically-backed research, rounds of clinical tests (non-animal testing) and laboratory formulation means the formula is made up of mostly chemical composites and pretty much stripped of naturally-derived ingredients. Chirally correct products also have their share of controversies as the molecular alterations makes most chirally correct ingredients degrade rather easily. Lastly, it smells chemical – not the pungent type to clarify, some of you might like it.
The Allies of Skin 1A All-Day Mask retails at SGD99 and is available on their online store.