You probably wouldn’t think about wearing your girlfriend’s maxi dress or your wife’s lipstick, so why would you think you can get away with using her acne-clearing products?
More than outward gender differences, the reason why you shouldn’t be using your partner’s acne-busting products – or other skincare products, for that matter – is because your skin is built very differently.
Male hormones, or testosterones, make our skin 25% thicker than that of women. On top of this, testosterones also account for the reason why men’s skin texture is rougher, and the amount of sebum produced is significantly more. This is why men tend to have more persistent acne compared to women.
Now that you understand why your skin should be treated differently from a woman’s, it’s time to familiarise yourself with tips tailored for you to solve your acne problem:
1. Use an electric shaver
Using an electric shaver instead of a razor can cause less irritation and inflammation – both of which can aggravate pimples. Investing in an electric shaver doesn’t just offer you a good shave, it can also help prevent the appearance of pimples. Remember to wash your electric shaver regularly to keep it hygienic, or you may be causing even more problem for acne-prone skin.
2. Keep excessive sebum at bay
You already know that men’s skin is oilier than women’s. Excessive sebum can lead to clogging of pores, which in turn cause pimples to appear. Choose a oil-control cleanser and use it twice a day to prevent pores from clogging.
3. Go for a facial
Facial treatments aren’t just for women. To achieve clear skin, going for a facial treatment targeted at your skin problem is probably the most effective and fastest way. We recommend the Advance Propolis Defense treatment by Men’s Skin Centres, a facial treatment that offers anti-bacterial and anti-fungal benefits. Using propolis, an extract derived from bee pollen, this facial treatment improves skin that suffer from clogged pores and are prone to pimples. On top of this, it also reduce the appearance of acne scars, minimise enlarged pores, and calm irritated skin that looks blotchy and red.
Other general acne-busting tips
- Familiarise yourself with the cause of pimples. Educating yourself and understanding what lead to pimples is a good start to busting them. You can start with reading about how pimples are formed.
- Exfoliate your skin regularly. Clogged pores lead to the appearance of pimples. Scrubbing your skin regularly can help unclog your pores. This should be done approximately once a week.
- Maintain high level of hygiene. One of the factors that cause inflammation of pimples is personal hygiene. Avoid touching your face unnecessarily, and clean your spectacles, mobile phones, or other germ-filled items that may come in contact with your face.
- Drink lots of water. Water plays an important role in the functioning of your body, as well as the clearing of toxins from it. Drinking sufficient water isn’t just good for your overall well-being, but also helps in giving you better skin.