You may not be a fan of lipsticks because of how they seem to look “odd” on you. We’ve heard many readers complain that they’re not able to carry off lip colour, especially shades like red, although they love how they look on others.
If you tend to have full makeup on, but leave out lipstick, it’s time to start experimenting with some lip colour. Neglecting your pout simply makes your overall makeup look unfinished, which is never a good look.
Try using sheer lipsticks. We liken them to “trainer wheels” for lipstick novices. Sheer lipsticks are usually more hydrating, and also give a hint of colour that is subtle enough so it doesn’t intimidate you. Trust us, these ones are simply a sheer bliss to wear:
1. Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Supreme Shine (SGD33): This lipstick offers a dewy shine to the saturated colour so that it doesn’t just feel hydrating but also less pressurising to wear.
2. Lancome Rouge In Love (SGD40): This lips-loving rouge has a feather-like texture that is comforting and long-lasting. With 24 shades to choose from, this means that you can be bold enough to experiment with colours.
3. Urban Decay Sheer Revolution Lipstick (SGD33): The sheer version of bestseller, Revolution Lipstick, this lipstick has a creamy texture that’s easy to glide on. The bonus is that it has a super gorgeous shiny purple casing that we love. Read our review of the Sheer Revolution Lipstick to find out more.
4. Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm (SGD26): Easy to use, just like a crayon, the Clinique Chubby Sticks has a huge cult following because of its nourishing formula that leaves lips feeling smooth and soft. Its natural-looking tints are also easy-to-wear.
5. Laneige Serum Intense Lipstick (SGD34): You could have probably guessed from its name that its texture is inspired by serum. It glides on comfortably and offer a shiny finish. Although some of the 20 colours in the collection may be very vivid, its super-hydrating texture makes it easier to wear; they also have sheer and safe options that you can consider.
6. Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment Sunscreen SPF15 (SGD29): As its name suggests, this is formulated as a lip treatment, so it works just like a trusty lip balm. On top of moisturising, smoothing and protecting (it has sun protection!) the lips, it also offers buildable coverage so you can apply it according to how intense you want the colour to look. It comes in 10 shades, including crowd-pleasers: petal, rose, and honey.