Ed Sheeran’s grandma once gave him a profound piece of advice. He says, “Granny Sheeran told me when I’m looking for a partner, to fall in love with their eyes cause eyes are the only things that don’t age, so if you fall in love with their eyes you’ll be in love forever.” Whether you agree or disagree, here are ten commandments of eye contour care. Cross your fingers and toes that you’ll have eyes gentle like a gazelle’s.
- 1. Thou shalt use an eye cream every night
- 2. Thou shalt pat and not rub
- 3. Thou shalt use only lukewarm water for cleansing
- 4. Thou shalt eat more protein
- 5. Thou shalt do facial exercises every day
- 6. Thou shalt clean my glasses with antiseptic wipes
- 7. Thou shalt not skimp on sunscreen
- 8. Thou shalt use cucumbers for puffy eyes
- 9. Thou shalt remove makeup before going to bed
- 10. Thou shalt not cut back on sleep time
1. Thou shalt use an eye cream every night
Our eyes don’t age, but our eye contours do. Having said that, when it comes to skincare, it’s best to start early. Eye creams are like a care package for your beauty soul. If you’re looking for a quality product, try Innisfree’s Eco Science Eye Cream.
2. Thou shalt pat and not rub
Our eyelids are insanely thin and delicate – you want to be as gentle as possible. Translation: no rubbing; and patting always rules.
3. Thou shalt use only lukewarm water for cleansing
When cold or hot water hits you, it shocks. And since our eye contour areas are easily damaged, it makes sense to use lukewarm water. Remember the Goldilocks principle? It must be just right. In conclusion, cleanse with care!
4. Thou shalt eat more protein
Protein is anti-aging food. As previously reported by WebMD, it’s jam-packed with benefits, such as building and repairing our tissues. It’s no secret formula, but it works wonders.
5. Thou shalt do facial exercises every day
Because the younger you look, the younger your parents look – it’s a win-win. But seriously though, facial exercises do have a lot of pros. For instance, it boosts the blood circulation and relieves tension. That said, it improves our overall health. You should really get right on it. Here’s a good example.
6. Thou shalt clean my glasses with antiseptic wipes
Eyeglass frames tend to be plagued with bacteria. Can you imagine our face constantly exposed to these harmful micro-organisms? If you have acne around the eye areas, it’s usually a signal that your glasses are filthy.
7. Thou shalt not skimp on sunscreen
Why bother skimping on sunblock when it’s been reported that the Earth is getting hotter? If you think only age leads to wrinkles, think again. Believe it or not, sun damage is also linked to the maddening creases around the eye contour areas. When it comes to sunscreen, don’t ever hold back. Kiehl’s has just launched a new sunscreen formulated specifically for the eye area, which we have reviewed.
8. Thou shalt use cucumbers for puffy eyes
Cucumbers are chocked full of skin-friendly benefits: they reduce the appearance of eye bags and revive our globular organs. If you have dark circles, put the cucumbers in the freezer before placing them on your puffy eyes. Home remedies, for the win.
9. Thou shalt remove makeup before going to bed
Yes, this. No matter how dog-tired you are. If you don’t want to floss, that’s fine (just don’t make it a habit). But makeup? You gotta remove it. There’s no excuse. Otherwise, you risk your entire face looking chapped and greasy.
10. Thou shalt not cut back on sleep time
Aim for at least a 6- to 8-hour sleep. Do some breathing exercises before going to bed and sleep on your back. If you’re a light sleeper, wear ear plugs. Drink a glass of warm milk, as it’s known to reduce anxiety. You won’t ever need to count sheep anymore.