Hair care goes beyond just washing and conditioning. You might be doing certain things that damage your hair without even knowing it! Yikes! Let’s start taking better care of our hair with these 10 commandments of hair care:
Click “Next”, press the arrow keys, or swipe your mobile device to read on.
- 1. Thou shalt wash hair once every two days
- 2. Thou shalt use conditioner regularly
- 3.Thou shalt rinse off conditioner with cold water
- 4. Thou shalt pamper hair with a mask
- 5. Thou shalt drink lots of water
- 6. Thou shalt not style hair too often
- 7. Thou shalt use heat protectant
- 8. Thou shalt deal with knotty hair gently
- 9. Thou shalt go for a regular hair trim
- 10. Thou shalt not tie hair too tightly
1. Thou shalt wash hair once every two days
Washing your hair daily strips it off of its natural oils. It will leave your hair dry and limp! If you’re afraid that you’ll end up with greasy hair, opt for a dry shampoo. Not only will it help to absorb the excess oil, it will add some volume and texture to your hair too!
2. Thou shalt use conditioner regularly
Conditioning your hair is not a redundant step. It helps to hydrate the hair, making it soft and manageable. Concentrate the conditioner towards the ends of the hair as that’s where it gets damaged and dry the most.
3.Thou shalt rinse off conditioner with cold water
Rinsing the conditioner off with cold water helps to lock in the moisture, keeping your hair soft and hydrated.
4. Thou shalt pamper hair with a mask
Using a hair mask or a deep conditioner nourishes your hair further. It repairs the hair from the inside, and makes your hair smoother and softer.
5. Thou shalt drink lots of water
Just like the skin, the scalp needs hydration too. If you can’t tell, drinking lots of water helps many areas of our body: the skin, the hair and of course, our internal bodily functions. So drink up, ladies!
6. Thou shalt not style hair too often
As much as you need to style your hair every day, TRY YOUR ABSOLUTE BEST not to. Over-styling hair means subjecting it to heat, chemicals from styling products and damage from other hair tools.
7. Thou shalt use heat protectant
Using a heat protectant helps to protect the hair – especially the ends – from burning or getting incredibly damaged. It acts like a shield against the heat, while still allowing you to style it the way you want it to.
8. Thou shalt deal with knotty hair gently
Be patient with your hair if it’s knotty. Don’t forcefully unknot it, as it can cause hair breakage. Apply leave-in conditioner to troubled area and straighten it out with a wide tooth comb.
9. Thou shalt go for a regular hair trim
Many people think that to grow their hair long, they are not supposed to cut it. Actually, it’s better if you go for a trim every couple of months. It allows your hair to grow nicely, without split and dry ends. It will make your hair look healthier too.
10. Thou shalt not tie hair too tightly
Living in Singapore, we just have to put our long tresse up in a bun when it just gets too humid and hot. If you’re one who ties your hair up in a bun or a high pony often, opt for a loose braid on some days. Pulling your hair too tight can cause hair breakage.