While a well-rested complexion can be faked with a touch of concealer, gorgeous hair is unfortunately much more difficult to achieve. When left alone, our hair can make us look like we’ve just rolled out of bed when we’ve really been grinding hard at work for the entire morning.
If you want to do something about your hair other than hiding it in a ponytail, these six hairstyles may just be it. Whether it’s to create a good impression in your next web conference or for your daily work hairstyle when we can finally get back to the office, these step-by-step hairstyling tips are going to be oh-so-useful.
1. Low messy bun
Show them who’s boss while looking effortlessly chic with this modern take on the elegant chignon. Pro tip: the trick to making this look more polished is to curl your hair prior to styling.
- Start by using the Dyson Airwrap™ styler with its pre-styling dryer attachment on a high heat and high airflow setting, and blow dry the hair until 80% dry.
- Once dried, section your hair into half, creating a centre part.
- Starting with one half, create outward facing curls by manually winding a small section of hair around the 30mm Airwrap™ barrel on a high heat and high airflow setting.
- Heat each section of hair for 5 seconds (or until dry) and set the curl with the cold shot setting for 3 seconds, which will give your hair extra shine. Repeat the process and complete the first half of the hair.
- Complete the second half of the hair following step 3 & 4.
- With an elastic band, tie the hair into a low side ponytail.
- Split the ponytail in half, twist one half to the elastic band and secure with pins.
- Repeat the same to the other half.
- For a more natural look, loosen strands of hair at the top part, and release strands of fringe at the side to frame and slim your face.
Dyson Airwrap Hair Styler Volume + Shape
Cut down the clutter on your vanity with this innovative hairstyling set with four attachments to smooth, curl, and volumise. Plus, it’s great for beginners as the Airwrap uses its unique airflow technology so all you have to do is to hold the wand in place!
Living Proof No Frizz Weightless Spray
Keep your hair in place and eliminate frizz without weighing it down with this weightless spray from Living Proof.
This retails on Sephora for SGD54.
2. Soft curls
The windblown, surfer girl hair has been a classic and coveted style for years. Turn it into a work-appropriate look using the instructions below.
- Start by using the Dyson Airwrap™ styler with its pre-styling dryer attachment on a high heat and high airflow setting, and blow dry the hair until 80% dry. To create root lift, scrunch the hair roots with your fingers during the process.
- Once dried, section your hair into half, creating a slight side part.
- Starting with one half, create inward and outward curls alternately by manually winding a small section of hair around the 30mm Airwrap™ barrel on a high heat and high airflow setting.
- Heat each section of hair for five seconds (or until dry) and set the curl with the cold shot setting for three seconds. Repeat the process and complete the first half of the hair.
- Complete the other half, following steps 3 & 4.
- Once the hair is fully curled, run your fingers through the hair to loosen up the curls.
- Seal and add texture to the look by applying a setting spray.
IGK Rich Kid Coconut Oil Gel
Polish this basic look up further with this curl- and shine-enhancing lightweight hair gel.
This retails at Sephora for SGD43.
VERB Detangler Brush
Use a detangler brush to rid your hair of knots and separate curls with its specially designed bristles, like in this VERB one.
This retails for SGD24 on Sephora.
3. Top knot
The ultimate do-it-all style, you can wear this for your meetings, chores, and exercising while keeping your hair out of your face and still looking great.
- Using a smoothing brush, on low heat and medium airflow setting for your hairdryer, brush damp hair backwards until completely dry.
- With an elastic band, tie the hair into a high twisted top-knot and secure with pins.
- For a more casual look, lightly loosen strands of hair along the hair line.
- (Optional) Apply a setting spray to seal the look.
KRISTIN ESS Style Defining Shine Pomade + Edge Control
For a immaculate and slicked back look free of flyaways, use a gel that provides shine and hold like this one from KRISTIN ESS.
This retails at Sephora for SGD21.
Lucido-L Designing Air hair Spray Ultra Hard
For a strong hold even in our humid weather, try this hairspray from Lucido-L. It also offers a sleek and shiny finish and a light floral scent.
This retails at Guardian at SGD9.20.
4. High ponytail
A style often sported by celebrities like Bella Hadid and Ariana Grande, this hairstyle is great if you dislike hair in your face. Plus, it shows off your greatest facial features and gives your face an upward, youthful lift.
- Using a smoothing brush, blow dry hair on low heat and medium airflow setting, brush damp hair backwards until completely dry.
- With the help of your hands and a brush, secure your hair into a ponytail tightly at the top of your head.
- Accessorise the look by using cute scrunchies or tying a smaller scarf round the base.
Printed silk scarf
Opt for shiner, silky scarves for a more luxurious look, they’re also better for your hair too, since less friction is caused between your hair and the fabric.
This is available on Shopee for SGD2.
Make this look even more elegant with a hair tie made of faux pearls. You can even choose from gold, brown, white, or black versions to match your outfit!
This retails on Shopee for SGD2.23.
Since you really only show your top half during conference calls, jazz up your outfit with the trendy headband! Plus, this style goes with both straight and wavy hair of all lengths, so literally anyone can rock this look. However, if you have time to spare, try these steps to further elevate this simple look.
- Brush your hair to rid it of any knots.
- If you have flat or limp hair, use a volumising or texturising sea salt spray to give your hair more grit! To give it extra volume, aim your hairdryer on low heat at your roots for a few seconds, then blast it at cool setting to set your hair in place.
- Repurpose old scarves by folding it to a thin strip then wrap it around your head and knot it at the nape of your neck. Or, if you already have hairbands you like, just slip one on.
Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer
This much raved about hair dryer comes with smoothing and styling nozzles, as well as a diffuser attachment, so you can change up your hairstyle on the daily.
Minimalist Glossy Satin Wide Headband
It may only be April, but these padded headbands have already become one of the biggest hair trends of 2020. Let the unique shape of the headband take centre stage and choose a subtle colour like white, black, or navy.
This retails on Shopee for SGD2.26.
Baroque Crystal Headband
Amp up your style with these studded headbands! Choose the multicoloured one to brighten up a basic plain shirt, or pair the black one with a matching top for a low-key, but not boring look.
This retails on Shopee for SGD17.29.
6. Slicked back hair
For an urban look, try this slicked back look that’ll look especially great on individuals with short hair. In addition to requiring minimal products, this style can be achieved within less than a minute and works on second- and even third-day hair!
- Brush out your hair to remove any tangles for this sleek look.
- Starting from your hairline, comb directly backwards using high hold styling wax using your fingers for an effortless look.
- Set by blasting hot then cold air from a hairdryer.
Hanz De Fuko Heavymade Pomade
Use a high hold pomade with tons of shine like this one from Hanz De Fuko to replicate the sleek look that models frequently sport.
This retails on Sephora for SGD30.
Tangle Teezer Compact Styler Hairbrush
This nifty tool can help to de-tangle hair and remove knots easily, all while giving your scalp a therapeutic massage. Its compact size also makes it easy to bring along wherever you go.
This retails on Sephora for SGD35.