If you stay up to date on the latest and greatest in beauty with Daily Vanity articles, you’re probably no stranger to amazing skin-loving ingredients such as vitamin C, retinol, hyaluronic acid, and niacinamide. In fact, more and more beauty brands are coming up with skincare products that are formulated with the latter!
But in case you missed it, there’s a new moisture-boosting ingredient in town that’s ready to take the beauty crown from hyaluronic acid: electrolytes. Yes, the stuff that’s commonly found in your rehydrating sports drinks and coconut water is now in your skincare.
Here’s the low-down on electrolytes and the benefits they can give to your skin.
What are electrolytes?
We know you’ve pretty much returned everything you’ve learned in chemistry class to your secondary school teacher but fret not, we’re here to help you jog your memory: electrolytes are essentially minerals that conduct electricity when they’re mixed with water. These minerals include magnesium, sodium, calcium, chloride, potassium, and phosphate.
Think back to the time when you reach out for a sports drink after an intense hot yoga sesh or jogging with your buddy – the reason a bottle of sports drink can make you feel like new again is because of the electrolytes.
They are the secret sauce in most, if not all, sports drinks that make these beverages so refreshing when you’re super dehydrated – the electricity produced by the minerals helps our cells generate energy to regulate water levels in the body and thus helps your body retain water, effectively re-hydrating you in the process.
What do electrolytes do for your skin?
As it turns out, electrolytes can have a similar hydrating effect on the skin, too. While it’s often said that drinking lots of water daily can help keep skin hydrated, just drinking water alone may sometimes not be enough especially in the humid Singapore climate. So supplementing your skincare routine with electrolyte-infused products can help provide that deep hydration your skin needs while replenishing and strengthening the skin’s barrier simultaneously.
To understand this further, we’ll need to first look at the common electrolyte minerals and their functions.
- Potassium: Helps facilitate the movement of water within skin layers to ensure balanced hydration, and reinforce the skin’s barrier by organising the various lipids in the skin.
- Magnesium: Helps energise the skin by generating adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which cells use as an energy source. Apart from playing a supporting role in improving skin’s hydration, this mineral also enhances the skin’s natural shedding process.
- Calcium: Acts as a humectant to draw and seal moisture in the skin, specifically in the uppermost layers. It also plays a critical role in influencing the formation of new cells and how they move from the dermis to the epidermis.
When used in skincare, electrolytes can function as a redistribution system for moisture, which helps your skin receive the hydration it needs. Water follows the flow of electrolytes, so when they are infused in skincare, it allows water to be drawn into the skin.
In short, electrolytes are your answer if your skin is in need of an extra shot of moisture. But if you think they’re meant for dry skin exclusively, think again. Electrolytes also possess the capability to boost the efficiency of other ingredients such as AHA/BHA, retinol, vitamins, and ceramides and help these powerhouse elements perform better in the skin for a healthier complexion – this makes electrolytes useful for other skin types beyond dry skin!
When it comes down to it, think of electrolytes as cheerleaders for a healthy, glowing and youthful-looking complexion – they ensure every part of your face receives its fair share of hydration while helping other great ingredients work even more effectively.
With electrolytes boasting such superior hydrating properties, it’s safe to say that moisturisers and hydrating masks will definitely get a major boost in electrolyte use. One such example that’s worth checking out is the Esthemax Hydrojelly Mask.
Esthemax Hydrojelly Mask: Like a sports drink for your face
With over 30 years in the professional beauty industry, American brand Esthemax is loved by facial salons and clinics worldwide so it’s not surprising if you’ve stumbled upon its quality, innovative products during one of your monthly facial visits.
Created by a team of leading specialists, Esthemax Hydrojelly Mask incorporates only plant and mineral active ingredients such as organic kale, grape seed, organic goji berry, glutathione, and 24K gold minus the preservatives and skin-damaging synthetic agents that are common in gel and liquid activators.
Boosted by pure algae and electrolyte technology, the formula comes in the form of dry powder to preserve the freshness of ingredients while retaining all-natural benefits.
Previously available only for professional salon use, Esthemax has recently introduced the cruelty-free Hydrojelly Mask as an easy at-home kit for ultimate convenience. All you need to do is add water, mix, apply, and peel off after 20 minutes – easy!
Apart from its pleasant scent and ultra-sensorial texture, the Hydrojelly Mask also provides instant cooling and soothing benefits to angry, tired skin. Thanks to its jelly texture, you don’t have worry about the mask leaving your skin feeling uncomfortably tight when peeling off the dried-off paste.
Currently in Singapore, there are 15 variants of Hydrojelly Mask that you can choose from:
- Antioxidant Goji for radiance;
- Brightening Complex to treat uneven skin tone and dark spots;
- Calendula Floral to strengthen skin’s resistance to external assaults;
- Cica Complexion Care to comfort sensitive skin and aid in scar healing;
- Diamond Glow Boost for skin regeneration and renewal;
- Egyptian Rose for wrinkle care;
- Hyaluronic Acid for extra moisture retention;
- Illuminating Orange to combat skin dullness and pigmentation;
- Intensive Aftercare to soothe and calm blemished skin;
- Luminous 24K Gold for rejuvenation of dull, mature skin;
- Phyto Nutrients to fortify and nourish fragile skin;
- Pure Himalayan White Tea to clarify problematic skin and get rid of toxin buildup;
- Purifying Charcoal to clear away breakout-inducing impurities;
- Skin Warrior Ageless for firmer, more youthful-looking skin; and
- Super Greens Strength to revitalise stressed skin and balance skin’s pH.
Although the mask is made of natural ingredients, keep in mind to dispose any leftover mixture in the bin and not your sink – the thick jelly texture might end up clogging your bathroom! Trust us, we learned it the hard way.
Instead, use a tissue to wipe off any excess in your mixing bowl before rinsing off with water. As for the actual mask that you peel off after 20 minutes, just toss it in the bin as well when you’re done.
Also, it’d be wise to not deviate from the instructions and mix the entire sachet of powder with nothing more than one scoop of water. This renders the mixture more runny than goopy, which in turn, causes your masking activity to be really messy when you apply the paste as it will drip down your face. Again, we tried it so you don’t have to.
Eco-conscious beauty lovers will be happy to know that Esthemax makes its mask pouches and trays from sugarcane so they are 100% biodegradable. Who says you can’t love the earth while caring for your skin?
To learn more about Esthemax, check out the video below.
Esthemax Hydrojelly Masks are well love by Beauty centres, Medspas and clinics worldwide.Hydrojelly Mask is a new generation mask boosted with pure algae, actives and is infused with the electrolyte technology.As we understand that our skin is not able to absorb or retain water with imbalance electrolytes thus out Hydrojelly Mask immediate action is address this imbalance.Helps to improve intercellular communication in turns assist in improving internal cellular processes.Helping you achieve healthy and dewy glowing skin.Interested beauty salon owners and retailers, kindly connect with us at +65 96938980#esthemaxsingapore#esthemax#esthemaxhydrojellymask#esthemaxsg#esthemaxmalaysia#esthemaxmy
Posted by Esthemax Singapore on Wednesday, August 19, 2020
The Esthemax Hydrojelly Mask retails for S$55 per pack. Each retail pack comes with two Hydrojelly Mask pouches, two trays, one spatula, and one scoop. You can find Esthemax at the following authorised salons:
- Suin Beauty Lounge: 40 Arab Street, Singapore 199739 (tel: 9194 6886)
- TaraBliss Wellness Spa: 452 North Bridge Road, #05-00/#06-00, Chan Brothers Building, Singapore 188733 (tel: 6336 9274)
- Indulgence Beauty: 10 Anson Road, #02-58, International Plaza, Singapore 082001 (tel: 6225 8980)
If you’re a business owner interested in partnering with Esthemax Singapore, please register your interest via this email: [email protected]