It’s safe to say that NewJeans is the most popular K-pop girl group, not only in Korea, but also worldwide, as evidenced by the record-breaking crowd that gathered for their set at the most recent Lollapalooza music festival.
From their fresh visuals to their certified bops and even their fashion, NewJeans is definitely giving Y2K vibes with that distinctive early 2000s nostalgia.
Their overall mood is complemented by some of the cutest Y2K-style hairstyles, and we’ve compiled five of their hottest hairstyles for everyone to follow!
5 NewJeans hairstyles you can try
Danielle’s bow buns
Danielle’s bow buns steal the show, and instead of looking like Pucca or Chun-Li from Street Fighter with two buns on each side of her head, the bow details add a more modern twist to the otherwise traditional, Princess Leia-like hairstyle.
This look is simple to achieve and requires only a few small hair ties and one larger hair tie:
- Step 1: Tie two twin tails on top of your head, allowing your fringe to frame your face.
- Step 2: Tie each of your twin tails four times more, leaving about a three-finger gap between them.
- Step 3: Roll your ponytail upwards, matching the ties to the one above, and tie it again at the second knot.
- Step 4: Once you’ve rolled your ponytails all the way up, you’ll get a bow, and the final step is just to secure the middle of the bow with a larger hair tie!
Minji’s side-swept bangs
If you don’t have time in the morning for elaborate hairstyles, Minji’s side-swept fringe may be more up your alley. This hairstyle is one of the classic Y2K hairstyles, and while it’s fairly simple, there are a few details to keep in mind:
- Step 1: Begin by parting your hair in a 3:7 ratio.
- Step 2: Using a brow spoolie, separate a few strands from the larger side. These hair will serve as your framing pieces.
- Step 3: Spray your spoolie with any hair spray, and comb through the framing pieces, positioning them on your forehead as desired.
- Step 4: Once the strands are in place, pin the remaining hair back with your favourite clip. Be careful not to push the clip too far into your hairline.
Haerin’s double low buns
We’d say that this is one of the more elegant hairstyles so far, and you can definitely rock it to a more formal date night and look as stunning as Haerin.
The way the hair is used to cover the hair tie looks clean and classy, which is a special detail that really completes the look.
- Step 1: Loop your hair once into a low bun.
- Step 2: Tie the bun but leave the ends untied. The ends of your hair will appear to be flying upwards.
- Step 3: Make sure that your bun is small and that there is more hair outside of it.
- Step 4: Wrap the long loose ends of your hair around your hair tie and tuck the ends into the hair tie.
- Step 5: If your hair is thicker, a bobby pin can be used to tightly secure the strand. You can choose to have just one bun, which will look more elegant, or two buns, which will give the look a more youthful twist!
Hanni’s spiky double bun
This spiky bun may appear complicated, but it is one of the simplest hairstyles. The cute spikes add a playful element to the typical double bun look, and the face-framing pieces are a must-have for this hairstyle.
Overall, it seems to have the most Y2K vibe of all the hairstyles, and it looks like something you’d see on 2000s pop singers!
- Step 1: Tie your hair into two ponytails.
- Step 2: Twist your hair into a tight bun and tie it with a hair tie.
- Step 3: To achieve the spiky look, avoid tying in the ends of your hair.
- Step 4: Finally, you can use a hair straightener to straighten the ends and make them look pointier.
- Step 5: Repeat this step on the other side, and you’ll have Hanni’s adorable Y2K hairstyle in no time.
Hyein’s Y2K braided hair
Finally, there’s the golden maknae’s Y2K braided look, which is both chic and cool.
We should all know by now that your hair truly completes your outfit, and even if you’re wearing a simple outfit, this hairstyle will be elevating your aesthetic and adding a touch of Y2K vibe to the mix.
- Step 1: Split your hair into two sections, tying them into low twin tails.
- Step 2: After that, braid your hair on both sides, stopping briefly so that you still have plenty of length.
- Step 3: Divide your hair into four strands and tie them all into baby braids. Voila! You now have Hyein’s coolest Y2K hairstyle to complement your chic fits.
Featured image credits: @newjeans_official/Instagram