Look through this list of hair loss factors and see how many of them you can relate to:
1. Stressful lifestyle
2. Lack of sleep
3. Unhealthy diet
4. Putting your hair through chemical treatments such as colouring and perming
5. Using off-the-shelves hair products that may not be customised to your hair needs
If you find some of the above familiar, you definitely should read on, because you’re probably susceptible to hair loss in the future.
Pooja Chhabra, certified trichologist from TK TrichoKare shares that these are some of the most common causes of hair loss among Singapore clients that she has met, and she’s seeing more and more cases of hair loss, even among younger people.
This is why she says that taking steps in hair loss prevention isn’t something that only elderly people should be concerned about, but that we should start “as young as possible”.
European herbal hair remedies help prevent hair loss
When asked what goes into the customised treatments that TrichoKare provides for clients that makes them work so well, Pooja says that it is the premium European herbs that are used in TrichoKare’s remedies.
“Rosemary, lavender, burdock, nettle, saw palmetto, sage, horsetail, and ginkgo biloba are some of the premium European herbs that are used in TrichoKare remedies, and they’re known for helping to boost scalp health and encourage hair growth,” she says.
She further explains that these herbs have the following benefits:
- Gingko biloba: This helps improve blood circulation by increasing blood flow to the hair bulbs and improve the intake of nutrients and oxygen by the scalp to achieve hair growth results. It also has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Saw palmetto: This herb is used on male clients because it is known to inhibit the formation of DHT (dihyrdrotestosterone), which is the main cause of male pattern hair loss.
- Nettle: Rich in vitamin D, C, A, and vital minerals including iron, calcium, and magnesium, this herb is a powerhouse of nutrients that are needed for hair growth.
- Sage: This herb has multiple benefits and is used to darken grey hair, strengthen weak and brittle hair, and also controlling greasy scalp.
- Horsetail: It is known for helping in cellular regeneration so as to promote hair growth, and at the same time, promote vitality and shine to the hair.
- Rosemary and Lavender: They help improve blood circulation, which is an important factor that helps improve scalp health. They are also rich in anti-oxidant, has a calming and soothing effect, and has antiseptic benefits. These are also used to eliminate dandruff.
The amazing benefits of these European herbs make them the choice of trichologists at TrichoKare, and can be found in all customised remedies that are prescribed to their clients.
Expert tips to hair loss prevention
It is probably impossible for us to get hold of all the premium European herbs that were mentioned to prepare the right concoction that works for us. Only a trichologist is able to help us do it the right way.
A trichologist is a trained professional who understands everything about hair and is able to find out the root cause of your problem, and even give you advice on how to prevent hair loss in the future. You’ll be able to get the expert advice on the right kind of shampoo and tonics to use and even the type of diet to eat. Most importantly, a trichologist will be able to give you a detailed scalp analysis so you can receive customised treatments that help to strengthen your hair follicles.
And you should consider a visit to a trichologist to get a scalp analysis done, even if you’re not seeing obvious signs of hair loss yet, because it’s always good to spot problems earlier; prevention is always better than cure.
Besides visiting a trichologist, Pooja shares these other ways you can prevent hair loss:
1. Wash your hair every day: It is important to shampoo your hair every day to make sure that impurities are not clogging your hair follicles. However, be gentle with your scalp. Use your finger tips, instead of your finger nails, to massage your scalp.
2. Adopt a healthy diet: Make sure you have a balanced diet and stay away from junk food. Foods such as salmon, lean chicken meat, and sunflower seeds are full of protein and fatty acids that can help strengthen your hair and prevent it from breakage.
3. Regular scalp detox: Visit a trichologist regularly to give your scalp a well-deserved detoxification session. Clogged follicles inhibit hair growth, and scalp detoxification can ensure that any clogging in your follicles are removed instead of accumulating, and cause problems in the future.
4. Avoid chemical treatments: Coloured and permed hair may look gorgeous, but too many of these processes can put a strain on your hair and scalp, causing hair thinning and breakage. If you have to colour your hair, consider giving yourself breaks in between sessions to give your hair and scalp some rest.
5. Gentle blow-drying only: Keep the temperature of your hair-dryer low, and keep it a distance away from your scalp. High exposure to heat can destroy your hair structure, causing hair loss and breakage.