While Halloween is not a huge thing in Singapore, there are plenty of people who would use the spooky season as an excuse to glam up and go out of one’s comfort zone with costume and makeup. After all, Halloween is all about exploring wacky, freaky, out-of-the-box looks (without feeling like a fish out of water) and crazy, over-the-top self-expression.
Plus, Halloween makeup is always your best bet if you need a last-minute or low-maintenance costume, and this year with most parties cancelled due to social distancing measures, it just makes more sense than ever to make it the pièce de résistance of your look.
Ahead, we have three looks that show you how you can completely transform into your favourite villain or cute character this Halloween with just a little makeup. Before you freak out, let us just say: don’t feel intimidated for a second by any of these looks. They are seriously easy enough for makeup newbies to follow (seriously, take our word for it).
The best part? These easy-to-follow looks are created using products that you probably already have in your collection. Time to whip out that mega eyeshadow palette you bought impulsively or that wrong foundation shade you got as a gift, and start painting your canvas!
Easy beginner-friendly Halloween makeup look #1: Harley Quinn
Trust us when we say this Harley Quinn makeup look is the easiest one of the lot. The reason: it allows for a large margin of error.
That’s because you’re supposed to go messy with the red and blue eyeshadows, and rock the unblended edges of a smudged lip. After all, being Joker’s girlfriend doesn’t exactly scream perfect winged liner.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to looking like the decade’s most-talked-about comic villain:
Easy beginner-friendly Halloween makeup look #2: The Devil
You can never go wrong with the classic devil look for Halloween, and we’re gonna show you how easy it is to spice up your day-to-day smokey eye for this look by adding elements of red and orange.
Having said that, red eyeshadow isn’t mandatory – you can opt for orangey-red shades instead which are more commonly found in eyeshadow palettes and you’ll still get the same effect.
Pro tip: If you’re like us and you have stacks of gorgeous eyeshadow palettes that you bought on impulse, be creative with how you use them! Apart from applying them on your eyelids, you can also use the appropriate shades as a bronzer, eyebrow powder, and even blush.
Easy beginner-friendly Halloween makeup look #3: Cute bunny
If the previous two makeovers are too aggressive and feisty for you, here’s a demure, cute look for a change.
Opaque, white eyeshadow or liner is great for this look if you have those products in your makeup stash but if you don’t, reach for pink tones instead.
We hope you enjoy these three simple looks that you can easily recreate with the makeup you already own!
For the full list of makeup used in these makeup tutorials, please see below:
- Stila One Step Correct Serum Primer, S$56 from Sephora.sg
- Benefit Cosmetics The Porefessional Face Primer, S$23 (7.5ml), S$56 (22ml), S$95 (44ml) from Sephora.sg
- Catrice HD Liquid Coverage Precision Concealer, S$6.90 from Guardian
- Sunplay Skin Aqua Tone Up UV Essence SPF50+ PA++++, S$27.90 from Watsons
- Colourpop Nude Mood Eyeshadow Palette, approx. S$19 (US$14) from Colourpop
- Colourpop Blush Crush Eyeshadow Palette, approx. S$19 (US$14) from Colourpop
- Colourpop So Jaded Eyeshadow Palette, but it has since sold out. You can try BH Cosmetics Take Me to Ibiza 35 Color Shadow Palette, approx. S$27 (US$20) from BH Cosmetics
- Colourpop It’s a Princess Thing Eyeshadow Palette, but it has since sold out. You can try BH Cosmetics Opalescent 24 Color Shadow Palette, approx. S$32.50 (US$24) from BH Cosmetics
- Sephora Collection Retract Eyeliners – Brown Black, Deep Plum, and Shimmer Teal, S$18 each from Sephora.sg
- Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain – Always Red, S$20 from Sephora.sg
- Abduct Cosmetics Velvet Veil Setting Powder, S$32 from Abduct Cosmetics
- KVD Vegan Beauty Tattoo Liner Liquid Eyeliner, S$32 from Sephora.sg
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion – Original, S$20 (5ml) and S$35 (10ml) from Sephora.sg
- Benefit Cosmetics Hoola Matte Bronzer, S$30 (4g) and S$53 (8g) from Sephora.sg
Featured image: Courtesy of Warner Bros