Our reader Christine asked:
I’ve noticed quite a bit of my hair on my comb recently and I’m worried. My husband, however, told me that it’s normal to lose quite a bit of hair every day and that there’s nothing to worry about. How much hair loss is too much?
On average, everyone has about 100,000 to 120,000 hairs on his/her head. Dropping 30 to 50 stands of hair per day is normal. However, if you start losing more than 100 stands of hair approximately, you should probably start worrying and consider consulting a trichologist.
Note that there are ways to reduce hair shedding. Try these 8 tips:
- 1) Avoid heat:While flat irons and hair dryer can give you a better hairstyle, heat can significantly weaken hair proteins and make them more susceptible to hair breakage and getting brittle. Try to dry your hair naturally, instead of using a hair dryer. If you must use a heat device for a necessary reason, don’t forget to use a heat protectant.
- 2) Don’t over-style:Hair styling products can also weaken hair. Avoid using them, as far as possible.
- 3) Slow down on hair dyeing:If you can, don’t dye your hair at all. But if you prefer colouring it, or if you want to cover your grey hair, make sure that your colouring appointments are not too frequent and avoid getting the tint/colorant to the scalp. Would you rather have luscious, grey hair or thinning, dark hair?
- 4) Give yourself a scalp massage:After your shower, spend around 10 minutes pressing on your scalp gently. The massage on the scalp can encourage micro-circulation to improve your scalp’s health.
- 5) Don’t brush your hair when it’s wet:Your hair is more vulnerable when it’s wet, so only brush it when it’s dry, and only with a soft-bristled brush. Combing it while it’s still wet can cause breakage to your hair.
- 6) Dry your hair gently:Just like your facial skin, you have to treat your tresses gently. After shower, instead of rubbing your hair dry with the towel, pat it gently instead with a soft towel.
- 7) Have a good hair-strengthening diet:There are nutrients that can help strengthen your hair. They include iron (livers, beef, green vegetables), protein (eggs, milk, soy), vitamin C (citrus fruits), omega-3 (tuna, salmon, walnuts), biotin (sunflower seeds, lentils), and zinc (oysters, pumpkin seeds, beef). Have a balanced diet that includes these nutrients.
- 8) Manage level of stress:Stress can be a reason why you’re losing hair. Get adequate sleep and exercise regularly as good ways of stress management. You can also consider meditation or breathing exercises to keep your stress level in check.
Nonetheless, if you’re worried about hair fall, you can speak to a Svenson consultant. Our hair experts will be able to assess if you need help, and what type of treatment works best for you if you do.
Limited time offer for you: Stop worrying and get a free hair & scalp analysis today, visit https://www.svensonhair.com.sg/ to find out more now!
This article is brought to you by Svenson Hair Centres.
Beauty Q&A is a regular feature on Daily Vanity. Have a burning question related to makeup, skincare, hair, or nails? Fill in this form and we may pick your question to be answered![contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]