Do you remember a time when it was enough for skincare brands to simply rely on marketing and product packaging to win their customers over?
Today, it’s a widely different landscape from before. It’s no longer enough for cosmetic brands to deliver products without further explanation. The increasing accessibility of knowledge has also increased people’s concern for the environmental damage that cosmetics manufacturing could cause.
Aside from simply committing themselves to environmentally-friendly practices, some brands have even gone the extra mile and incorporated natural ingredients into their products, so that we can enjoy the benefits of skincare in a safe, holistic way. These are 8 such brands who have harnessed the goodness of nature for the benefits of your skin.
1. Shiseido WASO line: Honey, white jelly mushroom, carrot, loquat leaf, and tofu
Created with millennials in mind, Shiseido’s new WASO line emphasises on a natural state of beauty where both body and mind are balanced in order to combat skin problems. Shiseido says, “With a stronger story and movement, we encourage millennials to champion authentic beauty.”
The inspiration behind the WASO line is the Japanese concept of washoku (和食). “Washoku is a food culture and philosophy greatly emphasised by Japanese,” says Shiseido. “It is known as a natural and healthy lifestyle of respecting the diverse and rich nature to bring out the natural flavours of ingredients.”
- Honey: Harnessed for its anti-bacterial and moisturising properties. Royal Jelly Extract also contains generous amounts of amino acids (building blocks for protein), vitamins and minerals, providing hydration for the skin, and activating cell functions while enhancing the skin’s metabolism.
- White Jelly Mushroom: Harnessed for its high moisture retention capacity.
- Carrot: Harnessed for its composition of carotene, water and nutrients, which help to soften and hydrate the skin to keep it healthy.
- Loquat Leaf: Harnessed for its ability to suppress inflammation and retain moisture.
- Tofu: Harnessed for its key ingredient, soy lecithin, that helps to retain moisture.
What products are in the WASO line?
- WASO Quick Gentle Cleanser: SGD 40
- WASO Fresh Jelly Lotion: SGD 45
- WASO Soft + Cushy Polisher: SGD 55
- WASO Color Smart Day Moisturizer: SGD 55
- WASO Clear Mega-hydrating Cream: SGD 55
- WASO Color Smart Day Moisturizer Oil-free: SGD 55
- WASO Quick Matte Moisturizer Oil-free: SGD 55
Shiseido WASO range is available at all Shiseido counters, and on Tangs online.
2. LANEIGE Fresh Calming line: Lychee
LANEIGE products have become skincare holy grails for many of us, so it was exciting news when they announced the launch of the new Fresh Calming line. Knowing that many of our skin problems are caused not only by an unbalance within our skin, but also the irritation of environmental factors, LANEIGE developed a Skin Equalizing technology with key natural ingredients to regulate the balance of our skin.
The key ingredients found in the Skin Equalizing technology, natural litchi extract and deep sea water, work together to ensure adequate hydration of the skin, and to reinforce its natural protective functions.
- Natural litchi extract: Extracted from lychee peels, natural litchi extracts contain polyphenol which is rich in antioxidants to reduce free radical damage from UV rays, and also helps to soothe irritation on the skin.
- Deep sea water: This generates Natural Moisturing Factor (NMF) to improve the skin barrier and boost the skin’s hydration. It is also rich in minerals, and is able to deliver moisture to dehydrated skin.
What products are in the Fresh Calming Line?
- Fresh Calming Gel Cleanser: SGD 30
- Fresh Calming Toner: SGD 40
- Fresh Calming Serum: SGD 48
- Fresh Calming Morning Mask: SGD 38
LANEIGE Fresh Calming Line is available at all Laneige counters, and on Tangs online.
3. The Body Shop Fuji Green Tea line: Green tea
In response to the growing concern that us urbanites are having with the effect of external irritants on our hair, The Body Shop has added on to their existingFuji Green Tea collection with hair and scalp products. The green tea is specially sourced from Japan, as the name suggests.
The Body Shop haircare ranges are cruelty-free and use only natural oils, butters and purees. All their formulas are 100% veggie, and some are also 100% vegan.
- Japanese green tea
- Mint menthol
- Salt crystals
- Honey: The Body Shop sources their honey ingredient from Ethiopia, as part of a community trade project that started 30 years ago in a commitment to support the communities that produce them.
What new products are in the Fuji Green Tea line?
- Fuji Green Tea Refreshingly Purifying Cleansing Hair Scrub: SGD 29
- Fuji Green Tea Refreshingly Purifying Shampoo: SGD 15
- Fuji Green Tea Refreshingly Hydrating Conditioner: SGD 15
The Body Shop Fuji Green Tea line is available at all The Body Shop outlets.
4. L’Occitane Pivoine Sublime line: Peony
The peony, a flower naturally occurring around the Mediterranean Basin, is also a renowned medicinal plant. The many beauty benefits of Peony flowers are captured in the gorgeous Pivoine Sublime range from L’Occitane. Pink peony petals are infused into golden oil, so your skin not only gets its rejuvenating benefits, you also get the full sensorial experience of scent and feel.
- Peony: Contains an antibacterial compound which helps with anti-inflammation, soothing irritated skin and even aiding with wound healing.
What products are in the Pivoine Sublime line?
- Peony Cleansing Oil: SGD 45
- Peony Purifying Minute Mask: SGD 8
- Peony Flash Moisture Mask: SGD 8
- Peony Overnight Perfecting Mask: SGD 8
L’Occitane Peony range is available at all L’Occitane outlets.
5. Kiehl’s Calendula line: Calendula
Kiehl’s has had a long history with the calendula flower, as can be seen by the success and popularity of their Calendula Herbal-Extract Toner.
Calendula petals are painstakingly inserted by hand to ensure the most accurate and efficacious formula, true to Kiehl’s tradition of apothecary practices. No alcohol or synthetic drying agents are included in their formula.
- Calendula: Soothes skin. Suitable for all oily skin types, including sensitive skin.
- Allantoin: Compound found in Comfrey Root, a perennial Eurasian herb used in herbal remedies. It has antiseptic properties, as well as anti-inflammatory.
- Great Burdock: Gentle ingredient that helps improve dry skin.
What products are in the Calendula line?
- Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol-Free Toner: SGD 59
- Calendula Deep Cleansing Foaming Face Wash: SGD 47
- Calendula & Aloe Soothing Hydrationg Masque: SGD 62
Kiehl’s Calendula line is available at all Kiehl’s outlets.
6. Spa Ceylon Ayurveda Virgin Coconut line: Coconut oil
Spa Ceylon traces its roots to Ceylon, Sri Lanka, where it has gained strong popularity for the organic way it introduces the technique of ayurveda into everyday beauty and skincare products, helping you achieve a holistic form of wellness.
The latest range from Spa Ceylon is one that uses 100% pure Virgin Coconut Oil, naturally cold-pressed and sourced from only the best quality coconuts hand-picked from Ceylon. Spa Ceylon founder, Mr. Shalin Balasuriya, says that the ingredients used in the Pure & Natural Organic Oil are so pure that they’re edible! The other products may have other inedible excipients added in order to attain its desired function.
Spa Ceylon products are free from parabens, paraffin, and alcohol. They are not tested on animals, and are 100% vegetarian. Spa Ceylon products are free of paraben, paraffin and alcohol; they are not tested on animals, and are 100 percent vegetarian. Spa Ceylon promotes sustainable harvesting and supports community fair trade.
- Virgin coconut: Coconut oil has become the it thing in the beauty world, not just because it’s intensely hydrating for your skin and hair, but also packed with vitamins and antioxidants that rebalances skin and hair health. It also helps that it smells amazing.
What products are in the Virgin Coconut line?
- Virgin Coconut Scalp & Hair Caring Oil
- Virgin Coconut Face & Body Soothing Serum
- Virgin Coconut Pure & Natural Organic Oil
- Virgin Coconut Hair & Body Natural Butter
- Virgin Coconut Face & Body Refining Scrub
Spa Ceylon Ayurveda Virgin Coconut line retails at SGD 26.90 for each product and is available at the Spa Ceylon boutique in Wisma Atria (#01-43).
7. Lush Fresh Face Masks: An array of natural ingredients including kiwi, seaweed, and honey
Lush has been making waves in the beauty world for its amazingly fun and fragrant bath and beauty products. They are also pretty big on using herbal and natural ingredients in their products.
Their Fresh Face Masks have been gaining a lot of attention not just because of their herbal and plant-based ingredients that are specially selected to address specific skin concerns, but also the amazing scent! All Fresh Face Masks are handmade with essential oils, fresh fruits, veggies, deep cleansing clays and herbs rich in nutrients.
In fact, their Fresh Face Masks are so fresh, you are recommended to refrigerate them at all times to prevent them from spoiling too fast!
What products are in the Fresh Face Masks line?
- Ayesha: For tightening and toning. Contains elderflowers and kiwi fruit to brighten dull spots, witch hazel and asparagus to reduce excess sebum, and honey for anti-inflammation. Suitable for all skin types, but especially mature skin.
- BB Seaweed: For exfoliation. Contains toothed wracked seaweed to gently rub away dead skin cells, fresh rose petals to rebalance your skin tone, and organic extra virgin live oil to rehydrate the skin even while exfoliating. Suitable for sensitive skin.
- Brazened Honey: For deep-cleansing congested skin. Contains fresh free-range eggs and honey to soften skin, lime oil for its astringent properties, rosemary for its antiseptic properties, ground almonds for exfoliation, and kaolin to extract impurities and dirt. Suitable for oily to combination skin.
- Catastrophe Cosmetic: For deep-cleansing. Contains blueberries for its vitamins and nutrients, and calamine as a base for gentle cleansing without dehydrating the skin, and for its calming and soothing properties. Suitable for all skin types.
- Cosmetic Warrior: For blackheads and blemishes. Contains egg whites and honey for moisturising the skin and tightening the pores, and fresh garlic and tea tree oil for their antiseptic properties. Suitable for acne-prone skin.
- Cupcake: For young, oily skin. Contains spearmint oil to cool and soothe skin, vanilla to calm redness, and Rhassoul mud for deep cleansing.
- Don’t Look At Me: Contains murumuru butter for intense moisturising, lemon juice to balance skin tone, Tunisian neroli to brighten the skin, organic silken tofu to soften, rice syrup and grapefruit oil for its pleasing scents and ground rice for exfoliation.
- Love Lettuce: For exfoliation. Contains fresh seaweed to nourish and soften skin, pure French lavender oil to balance sebum production in the T-zone and for anti-inflammation. Suitable for all skin types.
- Oatifix: For exfoliation. Contains ground almonds for a much gentler exfoliation, oats to calm and soothe redness and irritation, and mashed fresh bananas for softening and moisturising. Suitable for sensitive, dry, or irritated skin.
- Rosy Cheeks: Contains kaolin to extract impurities, calamine to soothe the skin, and Damask rose petal oil infusion to calm the skin and restore its balance.
- The Sacred Truth: For brightening and rejuvenating. Contains linseed, eggs and shea butter for intense moisturising, and wheat grass, papaya, green tea and ginseng root to brighten the skin and deliver essential nutrients. Suitable for mature skin types.
8. Mamonde products: An array of ingredients, including camellia and hibiscus
Mamonde is one of the most hyped beauty brands that have hit our shores recently. The brand’s famous tagline is: “Inspired by Flowers”, so you can tell straight off the bat that nature plays a huge role in their products.
It really isn’t so much of which range contains natural ingredients, as almost all of their skincare lines do. All Mamonde ranges of beauty products are inspired by and harnesses different species of flowers for different skin benefits.
Contains: Narcissus, well known for its moisture-storing capacity
- Floral Hydro Cream: SGD 21
- Floral Hydro Emulsion: SGD 30
- Floral Hydro Eye Gel Cream: SGD 34
- Floral Hydro Ampoule Toner: SGD 30
Contains: Damask Rose, for soothing, hydrating, and cleansing
- Rose Water Toner (containing 90.89% of damask rose): SGD 22 – 38
- Flower Essence Mask, Rose Moisturising: SGD 10 (5 sheets)
- Skin Fit Mask, Rose Moisturising: SGD 30 (5 sheets)
- Hand Cream, Rose Bouquet: SGD 10
Contains: Honeysuckle, for antioxidants, firming, and reducing sensitivity
- First Energy Essence: SGD 42
- First Energy Serum: SGD 42
- First Energy Firming Mask: SGD 20 (5 sheets)
Mamonde products are available on Lazada and at their counter in Tangs Orchard and Vivocity.