Our skin is transient. Like our wardrobe, our skincare routine has to change as we age, because our skin concerns vary with time. Want to look great decade after decade? Read on and look into the crystal ball of skin ageing, so you’ll know exactly what to expect and what you can do for your skin; we recommend the skincare routine to have, and ask skincare & aesthetics specialist, M&G Aesthetics to suggest the best skincare treatments to go for.
When you’re in your 20s
You’ve finally bid goodbye to relentless acne and excessive production of sebum, no thanks to hormonal changes in your body. However, you may start to expect your first signs of ageing and fatigue-looking skin as work stress catches up on you. During those periods you’re feeling the heat, you may even start breaking out.
Problems to solve: Pigmentation from old acne scars, dull and tired looking skin
Skincare routine to try: We hope you’ve already thrown away the skincare products that you use as a teenager that are intended for fighting teenage acne and hormone-induced greasiness. Your new routine should include skincare products that help to energise your skin and brighten your complexion. Go for a simple routine that includes ingredients like grape stem cells, which are designed to help revitalise, protect, nourish and renew skin cells, and invest in a nourishing eye cream with super-antioxidant astaxanthin to start preventing unwanted fine lines, which usually appear first around the eyes.
Skincare treatments to try: M&G DiamondTone Face Treatment. This therapy combines the abrasive action of diamond chips with the cleansing action of a light vacuum. It gently exfoliates the epidermal layer of skin cells to lighten the appearance of acne scars to reveal softer, smoother, and healthier skin, and presents a more radiant and moisturised complexion. This yields best results when it is followed by the M&G AFT Face Treatment, as a complete therapy. Great for targeting various types of skin conditions including pigmentation and rosacea, this treatment helps those who are trying to lighten the appearance of acne scars that may have been left behind from teenage years. At the same time, the Advanced Fluorescence Technology treats acnes, broken capillaries, and boosts collagen, offering an immediate brightening effect on the skin, regaining radiance in tired-looking skin.
- While your skin may still look good compared to women who are older, it’s always good to start taking care of it while you’re young. This is the time to develop good skincare habits.
- Applying a protective, plumping barrier layer of moisturiser against your skin is the most important part of your daily beauty routine, and should happen right after you’ve removed impurities from your skin.
- Exfoliate your skin with a gentle scrub regularly – once every three days if you can. This helps your skincare products to penetrate more easily and work better.
When you’re in your 30s
Signs of ageing begin to creep onto your skin and this is further aggravated as your skin produces less sebum than before. Natural production of collagen in your body begin to slow down, and you may find that your skin doesn’t look as firm as it was in your 20s. The desirable V-shape of your facial contours become less prominent as a result.
Problems to solve: Skin losing its firmness and facial contours losing their definition
Skincare routine to try: It’s time to start introducing serums containing ingredients like Vitamin C/E and Peptides into your routine. You should also make sure your skin is intensely hydrated and that you have good eye care products in your arsenal. Learn how to do facial massages that can help to lift the look of your jawline.
Skincare treatments to try: M&G Face Shaping. This treatment helps to firm skin and lift facial contours so they look more defined. The therapy uses the FDA-approved LPG Mobilift technology to stimulate skin so it can naturally produce hyaluronic acid, collagen and elastin. These in turn help skin look firmer and more youthful, and facial contours appear more lifted. For regular maintenance, try the emerginC hydration booster facial, which is suitable for all skin types. This facial infuses skin with multivitamins and makes sure your skin is well hydrated so it looks healthier and more radiant.
- While your 20s is for exploration, in your 30s, put your skincare needs in the hands of specialists you trust. Start going for regular facial treatments with a provider that you know deliver good quality.
- Besides a skin specialist, stick to a hairstylist that you trust too. Having the perfect hairstyle can help you achieve a more flattering face shape.
When you’re in your 40s and older
You may start to observe more obvious signs of ageing such as wrinkles and pigmentation. As your metabolism slows down and blood circulation not as good as before, skin appears dull and not able to heal and restore as quickly.
Problems to solve: Wrinkles, skin that needs firming
Skincare routine to try: If you don’t already protect yourself well from the sun, you should definitely do so by now. The cumulative effect of UV exposure ages the skin. Protecting yourself from UV exposure prevents the appearance of age spots. You should also have an anti-ageing product with strong antioxidant properties especially in your night routine to combat any free radical activities that accumulate from the day.
Skincare treatments to try: M&G Carboxy (CO2) Face Treatment. Also known as the Carboxy Gel Therapy, this treatment works by triggering the skin’s natural ability to provide oxygen to the skin. This process also improves blood circulation, promotes cell restoration and skin’s natural healing process. As it stimulates collagen production, it further softens the look of fine lines and wrinkles, and at the same time, decreases the appearance of dark eye circles and pigmentation. Consider the M&G Accent RF Face Treatment too. This clinically-proven treatment may be non-invasive, but packs a punch in the firming department. Using radio-frequency technology with unipolar and bipolar handpieces, the treatment offers deep and superficial penetration of RF energy. This helps to effectively tighten skin by stimulating it to produce new collagen, so that skin look smoother and more youthful.
- Eating well and exercising regularly will help improve your overall wellness, which will be reflected on your skin. Having a healthy diet and fitness plan can also improve your metabolism and will help your skin in the long run.
- This is the time to step up on your anti-ageing skincare routine. If preventing wrinkles from appearing is an important concern for you, make sure your entire skincare routine works towards this goal; this means you should use more than just an anti-ageing serum, but also a cleanser that helps with that.
- Look for products that contain proven anti-ageing peptides and hyaluronic acid. These two ingredients are great for firming and anti-wrinkles.
- Sun protection is the single most important thing you can do for your skin. Look for sunscreens that contain zinc oxide and titanium oxide to protect your skin against UVA and UVB rays.
M&G Aesthetics Beauty Care is located at #03-05 Pacific Plaza (9 Scotts Road, Singapore 228210).
A special treat for you!
A combination of the M&G emerginC signature radiance facial and diamond tone treatment, the M&G Diamondtone Skin Resurfacing Treatment is suitable for all age groups and is now available for Daily Vanity readers at SGD108 instead of SGD280.
On top of the treatment, you’ll also receive a complimentary consultation, skin analysis and a multivitamin serum worth SGD75 (while stocks last).