Do you notice your skin looking duller or that pimples appear when you’re overworked or feeling stressed?
You’re not alone. These are actually common problems that have everything to do with your state of mind.
Your emotional well-being has more to do with your skin than you’d have expected. Experts are making deeper research into the association between skin woes and human psyche, and are even giving it a term – psychodermatology.
So, have you been wondering whether your skin concerns have anything to do with your stressful lifestyle? Read on for the different signs that are associated with stress and fatigue to see if you can identify with any of them.
1. Dehydrated and dull complexion
You may still look fresh in the morning, but did you notice yourself looking “progressively older” as the day wears on? Well, you’re not imagining it. Oxidative stress, caused by fatigue, stress and a hectic lifestyle, reduces cell’s ability to recover and weakens skin’s energy production. This is why when you’re tired, skin also looks dull and lifeless. It also doesn’t help that you might be consuming more dehydrating drinks such as coffee to stay awake, which can aggravate skin’s dehydration problem, making it look even duller.
2. Skin becomes more prone to irritation
Skin rashes, sensitivity, and irritation are caused by dysbiosis (an imbalance in the bacteria found in your digestive tracts), which can happen when you’re overwhelmed by stress. When dysbiosis happens, there’s an overgrowth of bad bacteria that can trigger a flare-up of rashes and worsening of skin problems because your body can’t heal as well as before. This is why you’ll also find that your skin feel irritated more easily, and are more prone to bumps and redness.
3. Fine lines
Dehydrated skin (see Point 1) is one of the reasons why fine lines appear. But people who are tired and stressed also tend to make facial expressions such as frowning or squinting, which can lead to the appearance of fine lines and even wrinkles over time.
4. Oilier skin and pimples
When you’re feeling tense, your body releases “stress hormones” called “cortisol”. This hormone causes skin to produce more sebum. This, coupled with your body’s inability to heal as quickly (see point 2), can trigger inflammation on your skin, or what is more commonly known as “pimples”.
5. Under-eye bags
Burning the midnight oil to complete your never-ending to-do list means you’re not getting enough beauty sleep. Without adequate rest, fluid pools to your under-eye area, leaving you with puffy-looking eyes when you wake up. In cases when dark eye circles appear, under-eye bags will be emphasised and make you look just as tired as you feel.
What you can do about it?
- Time management: As cliched as it may sound, it is important to practise good time management. Set priorities and complete the easy tasks first. This way, you’ll have less things on your to-do list and you can focus on the tougher tasks better.
- Adopt a healthy diet: It may be tempting to stuff your face with “comfort food” made up of fried or high-starch dishes, but it may only make you feel worse. Adopting a healthy diet made of fresh and light bites give your body less stress and can help you to feel happier.
- Exercise: Many people find exercising a great way to manage stress. Yoga and jogging are some of the easy fitness routines that you can practise by yourself (or with a friend!) Clear your mind of anything that may be bothering you and after sweating it out, you may find your mind feeling more invigorated than when you started!
- Seek help: Even Batman has Robin to assist him – you don’t need to be a superhero who does everything herself. If you find it hard to cope with the tasks you have on your plate, ask your colleagues, friends, and family for help. You’d be surprised that many people are happy to lend a hand.
- Don’t neglect your skincare routine: You may be tired but don’t let it be an excuse to skip your skincare routine. Poor complexion can take a toll on self-confidence, and if you’re already going through a busy period, the last thing you’d want is to have to worry about your skin.
A solution that’s proven to work?
In January 2017, look out for the NEW Idealia Lumiere range by Vichy. This innovative range of products is formulated to give your skin the #SkinEnergyShot it needs and helps you to regain your hydrated rosy glow by energising and hydrating your fatigue skin! Now, how’s that for a new year’s gift?
This article is brought to you by Vichy.