It’s baby’s first-month celebration and everyone showers the bundle of joy with gifts: new clothes, toys, jewellery – you name it.
The next time you attend such a celebration, we’d like you to also put the limelight on the new mother. After all, she has gone through nine months of pregnancy and a gruelling labour; shower her with gifts because she deserves love too!
What’s the best gift for a new mother?
Here are some appropriate gifts we think she’ll love:
1. Spa gift card: Encourage her not forget about herself and to enjoy “me-time” – something that many new mothers tend to neglect while taking care of their newborn. A pampering treat can definitely perk her up!
2. Food delivery credits: After the confinement lady is gone, she may get too busy to cook for herself. Credits for food delivery, especially those that offer healthy, wholesome meals, will certainly help her to care for herself as she care for baby.
3. An inspiring book about motherhood: New mothers may face a lot of uncertainties and worries, and a book that inspires her can help her tide through trials. Reading is also a better distraction than being on the phone, browsing Facebook, when she’s chilling out while the baby is asleep.
4. A product that cares for her skin: Stretch marks are a common problem that mothers face – a result of weight gain and stretching of skin during pregnancy, and they typically appear on the abdomen, thighs, hips, lower back, buttocks, and breasts. It is estimated that 75-90% of women are susceptible to stretch marks, and they typically won’t go away unless these women care for them with effective products. Present her with a skincare solution that she will certainly find practical!
While the Daily Vanity team may not be most familiar with the best books to buy or the food delivery service to get, we certainly know a lot about skincare. When it comes to eliminating the appearance of stretch marks, Bio-Oil is one of the most sought-after products that even celebrities such as reality TV star Kim Kardashian-West and former Spice Girl Melanie Brown (Mel B) trust.
How does Bio-Oil help reduce the appearance of stretch marks?
Safe to use on all skin types, even during pregnancy, Bio-Oil contains a breakthrough ingredient called the PurCellin Oil™, which is a unique blend of vitamins and natural plant oils that has been clinically proven to reduce stretch marks.
The formulation works to maximise skin’s elasticity and keep it well-hydrated and supple throughout your pregnancy, thus helping to reduce the possibility of stretch marks forming. We recommended to use it from the start of your 2nd trimester, so that stretch marks can be prevented before they are formed!
Other skin-loving ingredients in its formulation include the following:
- Vitamin A: Improves skin’s elasticity, texture, and tone
- Vitamin E: Hydrates skin so it’s softer, smoother, and more supple
- Calendula oil: Contains antioxidant benefits and stimulate growth of new skin cells
- Lavender oil: Soothes and calms skin
- Rosemary oil: Has antiseptic capabilities to ease congestion, puffiness, and swelling of skin
- Chamomile oil: Calms and soothes even sensitive skin
What new mothers will appreciate is also that Bio-Oil is a multi-purpose product. On top of being a solution to reducing the appearance of stretch marks, it can also be used on the face as a moisturiser, and even on the cuticles and tips of hair to hydrate nails and tresses. For a busy new mother who will appreciate more time for sleep, the multi-tasking Bio-Oil will make a very effective time-saver!
Bio-Oil comes in multiple sizes: 60ml (SGD15.50), 125ml (SGD25.90), and 200ml (SGD35.90), and is available at major pharmacies including Guardian, Watsons, and Unity, as well as department stores and selected hospitals. For more information, visit www.bio-oil.com.
Share these additional tips with a new mother
Here are more tips you can share with a new mother to help her reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- Adopt the right diet: The right nutrients can help keep growing skin remain taut. Foods rich in vitamin E and C, zinc and silica can strengthen collagen and elastin fibres in skin so that they are less likely to break, which result in stretch marks. These nutrients are most commonly found in oranges, carrots, sweet potatoes, and leafy green vegetables.
- Drink up: In addition, drinking sufficient water can support the renewal and strengthening of cells, including skin cells. Try to consume approximately two litres of plain water a day. Soft drinks and other flavoured drinks don’t count!
- Work out: Exercise aids in improving blood circulation, which keeps skin elastic so that it’s able to expand itself nicely as it grows. Blood circulation can also help reduce the possibility of developing varicose veins and swollen ankles in pregnancy. Speak to a gynaecologist to find out which forms of exercises will be suitable at different stages of pregnancy.
Are you a mother or mother-to-be? Go to our Facebook post and share with us your best mummy moments, and you may win a bottle of Bio-Oil for yourself!