While the year-end festivities aren’t looking quite the same this season, one thing that for sure gets us excited regardless is the whimsical flurry of jewel tones and glittery hues that accompany the holidays.
We’re talking about vibrant pops of colour, a bold crimson pout, and highlighters that dazzle while we party through the night. Besides, given that we’ll most likely be donning on our protective face masks before we set foot out this year, why not kick things up a notch and work on incorporating maximum glitz above the mask?
We’ve asked the DV team for their favourite glam looks and behold, a step-by-step guide to recreating 4 super-easy looks that’ll get you in the mood for the upcoming celebrations — even if it’s just over a zoom party. Whether you’re going for a sultry eye or a sweet tangerine glam, you can be sure to pull off these ultra-versatile looks anytime of the year anyway.
15 prettiest festive-themed eye shadow palettes of 2020 you need to snag
Trend alert: Milk tea eyeshadow is our current obsession and here’s how you can achieve the look
#1: Rose Gold Quartz holiday look
This first look is meant to be an easy introduction to the application of eye shadow, featuring universally-flattering shades that complement most Asian skin tones. No makeup brushes are needed as well, which renders this look a quick go-to when in need of a sprightly pop of colour!
Step 1: Use a primer or a makeup-gripping sunscreen to create a seamless canvas. The sunscreen I used works great as a primer — it has a weightless, scentless texture that provides a soothing effect and a velvety finish. Scroll down for the complete list of products used!
Step 2: Follow up with base makeup. My go-to foundation is the Estée Lauder Double Wear foundation for when I need my base makeup to last all day, even when wearing a mask.
Step 3: Buff on some pink pigment across both eyelids.
TIP! I used my ring finger to make sure I extend the shade upwards and outwards to lift and define my eyes. This helps with contouring the eye area.
Step 4: Create a feline flick. I used a warm, berry-brown shade that grounds and complements the eyeshadow used.
Step 5: Dab on a bit of shimmer in the inner corners to make your eyes pop. A pretty blue opalescent shimmer like the one I’m using would contrast best against the warm pinks.
Step 6: Curl your lashes and apply mascara for a lift. Feel free to put on a pair of falsies for an extra glam look!
Step 7: Add a rosy nude blush for a natural-looking flush. I applied a tinted balm on the apples of my cheeks with a makeup sponge for better precision.
Step 8: Fill in your brows and pair your pearly peepers with a glossy lip. I used a shimmery nude gloss to keep the rose glitter theme going.
Products used in this look:
- Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF40 — S$52 (50ml), Sephora
- Estée Lauder Double Wear foundation in 2N1 Desert Beige — S$71, Sephora
- Charlotte Tilbury Jewel Eyeshadow Pot in Walk of No Shame — S$52, Sephora
- Charlotte Tilbury’s Walk of No Shame Eye Liner — S$42 – S$26, Sephora & Net-A-Porter
- Glossier’s Lidstar in Moon — S$35.50, Shopee
- Fenty Beauty’s Full Frontal Volume, Lift & Curl Mascara — S$39, Sephora
- Tower28’s BeachPlease Tinted Balm in Magic Hour — S$26.94, Revolve
- Hourglass Arch Brow Micro Sculpting Pencil in Natural Black — S$47, Sephora
- Kosas Wet Lip Oil Gloss in Dip — S$36.37, Revolve
#2: Roasted Chestnut Glow holiday look
Inspired by the warmth and glow emanated from a fireplace, this look features sunset tones with chunky glitters, topped with lots of highlight. Cosy up and get ready to sing along to chestnuts roasting on an open fireee.
Step 1: Lightly fill in your brows for a well-defined but natural look. Don’t be afraid to opt for a grey shade to achieve a soft look that blends in really well with real hairs.
Step 2: Prep your face and conceal any redness with a heavy duty concealer. An even base is key to gorgeous highlights later on.
Step 3: Apply bronzer to sculpt and warm up the complexion.
Step 4: Apply blush and blend it out well for maximum warmth across the face.
TIP! Tap any leftover blush onto the tip of your nose for a subtle dusting of sweet pink. Be sure to blend it out slightly lest you’re looking to impersonate Rudolph this season.
Step 5: Dab on a sheer highlighter to the high points of your face (brow bones, cheekbones, bridge of nose, cupid’s bow) to accentuate them.
TIP! You don’t want to go for a glittery highlight in this case since we’re going for a natural glowy look.
Step 6: To start off the eye look, add a neutral brown all over the lid.
Step 7: Apply a darker coral hue to the area above your crease. You can even bring it up to your brow bone for a more dramatic look.
Step 8: Add a sparkly burgundy shade to the center of your lids for a touch of magic.
Step 9: Blend out any harsh edges with the same neutral brown shade. Then, run a clean fluffy brush over lids to further create a seamless look that looks effortlessly put together.
Step 10: Add a glittery eyeshadow topper to finish off the eyes. We love the HOJO Monochrome Eyeshadow Palette in shade #12 for this look in particular. Its subtle pop of shine picks up light well but doesn’t appear costume-y — this shadow’s long-lasting and water-proof wear also means no touch-ups required!
Step 12: Last but not least, plump up your lips with a pink gloss for a lit-from-within look!
Products used in this look:
- THEFACESHOP fmgt Designing Brow in 06 Dark Grey — S$11, THEFACESHOP
- Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Sand — S$9.60, Shopee
- Too Faced Soleil Matte Bronzer in Chocolate — S$48, Sephora
- Milani Baked Blush in Corallina — S$17.35, Watsons
- Too Faced Love Light Highlighter in Blinded By The Light — S$42 – S$44, KrisShop & Sephora
- Fenty Beauty Snap Shadows Peach Palette — S$39, Sephora
- ColourPop X Bretman Rock Lit Palette — S$17.80, Shopee
- HOJO Monochrome Eyeshadow Palette in shade #12 — S$3.19, Shopee
- ColourPop So Juicy Lip Gloss in For The Clout — S$13.99, Shopee (currently sold out)
#3: Yuletide Green
If you’re in search of a shimmery eye and striking lip to kickstart the party, you’ll want to follow this super quick tutorial that teaches you how to wear a retro-esque ’80s vibrance casual. This look’s definitely one for the bold-hearted.
Step 1: You know the drill, define ’em arches! But this time we’re going for something a little stronger to match the rest of the look. Try tapering the brow to a sharp, pointed end.
Step 2: To prevent patchiness when using heavy jewel tones, be sure to prime your lids well. Both eye primer and a good ol’ concealer will do the trick!
Step 3: Dust on a matte brown shade above the natural crease as a base for the eye look.
Step 4: Add a dark green matte hue on the lower crease. If you have hooded eyes or a smaller crease, extend this shade slightly upwards to enlarge the eyes.
Step 5a: Here comes the best part, apply a green shimmer shade starting from the inner corner to the mid section of the eye.
Step 5b: Follow up with the same dark green previously used on the lower crease to connect the shades. Blend well.
Step 6: Finish off with base makeup, mascara, and a red lip. If you’ve got more time, try lining the outer portion of the lower lash line with the same brown transition shade, and add a champagne shimmer on the inner corners of eyes to brighten up!
TIP! Avoid using blush as it might draw attention away from the eyes, instead go heavy on the bronzer for a stronger look.
Products used in this look:
- SACE LADY Tinted Brow Gel in Black Brown — S$2.21, Shopee
- LA Girl Pro Conceal HD Concealer in Warm Honey — S$6.25, Shopee
Morphe 35M Boss Mood Artistry Palette — S$50, Shopee
- Loreal Infallible Freshwear Liquid foundation in 260 Golden Sun — S$20, LookFantastic
- E.L.F Hydrating Camo Concealer in Medium Warm — S$15.90, Shopee
- Maybelline Hypercurl Mascara — S$17.90, Watsons
- Benefit Cosmetics Cheekleaders Bronze Squad Cheek Heaven Palette — S$105, Sephora
- Essence Pure Nude Highlighter — S$10.90, Lazada
- WET N WILD Photo Focus Loose Setting Powder in Banana — S$7.77, iHerb
- Colourette Easy Matte in Bop — 349 PHP (~S$9.66), online
#4: Smoky Glam
There’s nothing more classy than a red lip and a set of matching peepers to go along with it. But since the festivities are ’round the corner, we’re thinking: Why not turn up the dial and don on an ultra-sultry look this season! This smokey eye is subtle yet strong enough for both day and night wear — no matter the occasion.
Step 1: Apply primer and conceal any blemishes you want to hide. Try using a matte foundation to keep to a subtle glow.
Step 2: Next, take a medium matte shade to the entire crease of your eye, run the brush back and forth on and keep building it up until you get your desired look.
TIP! If you’re going for a sleeker, sultry look, try extending the base colour more sideways instead of upwards.
Step 3: Then, take a darker matte and stamp a wing on the outer corners of your eyes, like you would with eyeliner.
TIP! Use a more precise, angled brush for this. Take the point where the upper lash line meets the lower lash line and extrapolate it diagonally upwards as a guide.
Step 4: Using a big fluffy brush, sweep through the colours, blending them out so that no harsh lines show. Dab on a light shimmer shadow on the inner corners.
Step 5: Draw a winged eyeliner for some extra drama to finish off the look. Be sure to follow your eye shape to keep it looking as natural-looking as possible. If you’re feeling it, layer on the same shimmer shadow all over the lid for that joyous festive sparkle!
Step 6: Add mascara, blush, and a red lip. And don’t forget to do your brows! Throw on a Santa hat and you’re all ready for Christmas.
Products used in this look:
- CUTEPRESS Let The Adventure Begin Eye Palette — S$11.45, Watsons
- Maybelline Hypersharp 0.01mm in Intense Black — S$14.93, Shopee
- Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes Mascara — S$48, Sephora (currently sold out)
- CUTEPRESS Let The Adventure Begin Cheek Palette — S$11.45, Watsons
- ColourPop Snow White Crème Lux Lipstick — S$12.90, Shopee (currently sold out)