After a couple of years, balayage still seems to be the buzzword in hair colouring these days, spawning a range of variations thanks to the creativity of hairdressers around the world. But do you really know what it is, and the salons to get the best balayage in Singapore?
Balayage is a freehand hair dyeing method which results in softer and smoother transition from one colour to the next on your hair, compared to traditional highlights. Because it’s freehand, though, it means that you better be picking a hair salon that you trust!
These are 10 balayage hair salons that are guaranteed to work some magic the moment you sit down in that hairdresser’s chair, giving you some flawless, jaw-dropping balayage on your hair. They are particularly well known for kickstarting the Ash Brown Balayage trend in Singapore!
We’ve also attached actual pictures done on models by the hair stylists from each hair salon, so you know exactly who to ask for whichever look catches your fancy.
Apgujeong Hair Studio
If you can envisage it, they can create it. Apgujeong Hair Studio strives to push the boundaries of hairdressing and be at the epicenter of explosive trends in the local scene here.
- Junction 8 #02-18
- Tampines 1 #04-27
- Punggol Waterway Point #01-40
- Tiong Bahru Plaza #03-106
- Vivocity #02-216
- JEM #04-05
- Great World City #02-30
- Hougang Mall #04-08
- Clementi Mall #05-19
- Jurong Point #B1-32
- Lot One #02-16
Why we love Label39
Located about a minute away from Clarke Quay MRT station, Label39 is home to creative and innovative hairdressers who will provide you with their wealth of expertise in hair services, such as colouring, perming, and scalp treatments.
Their team of stylists will make sure you’ll walk out with the best hair makeover by offering free retouching within the first seven days if you’re dissatisfied with your new colour. This is one place where the reviews almost speak for themselves, as it has an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars from 110 reviews on Google.
Besides that, Label39’s relaxing environment also keeps us coming back again and again. This place has amazing lighting, perfect for taking those post-session Instagram selfies.
What services to try?
One service that you’ve got to try at Label39 has to be their balayage service, which adds a natural-looking, multi-dimensional, and multi-tonal effect to your hair, giving it the appearance of volume.
If you’re looking for a hair colour that is more low maintenance, this is definitely one style you should go for. The soft, lightened strokes make regrowth less noticeable and more natural, so you don’t have to keep coming in for touch-ups. In fact, it is recommended to only come in every six months – talk about saving time and money!
To do balayage, you’re going to have to bleach 50% of your hair, but with the right haircare products, you’ll have no issue preventing damage. Don’t hesitate and ask the friendly stylists at Label39 for assistance – they’ll be glad to help.
The Balayage service starts from S$199.
How to book an appointment?
Address: 17 Carpenter Street, #05-01, Singapore 059906
Opening hours: 11am – 8pm (Mon to Sun) | Closed on Thu
Contact: 6449 9568, 8552 1817 (click on the number to send a WhatsApp message)
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Shunji Matsuo requires little introduction to Singaporean consumers, having already made their name here. It’s not hard to see that they are Influenced by Japanese street fashion and pop culture, using these as inspiration in the way they deliver the latest hairdressing techniques from Japan.
In case you haven’t heard, Shunji Matsuo also bagged the Best Salon for Japanese Cut as well as the Best Stylist awards in the recent Daily Vanity Spa & Hair Awards 2020. With a niche cutting technique and an award-winning hairdresser in tow, you can rest assured that your crowning glory is in perfectly good hands when you visit Shunji Matsuo – be it for a balayage or trim.
Psst… Be the first 50 customers to book the Japanese Cut and you’ll get a Shiseido scalp treatment plus a special Shunji Matsuo welcome pack for free. Alternatively, be among the first 10 customers to book a haircut by award-winning stylist Justin Javier and you’ll enjoy it free together with a Shunji Matsuo welcome pack! Other customers are entitled to 20% discount and a complimentary Shunji Matsuo welcome pack.
- Ngee Ann City #05-23 (Tel: +65 6238 1522)
- Tampines Junction #01-07 (Tel: +65 6786 8896)
- JEM #03-14 (Tel: +65 6734 0803)
- Siglap V #01-07 (Tel: +65 6604 6366)
- ION #04-04 (Tel: +65 6509 5833)
- Far East Plaza #01-35 (Tel: +65 6737 5311)
- The Midtown Hougang (Tel: +65 6604 7255)
- Holland Village – 245 Holland Avenue (Tel: +65 6762 6088)
Leekaja Beauty Salon
Leekaja Beauty Salon is luxe chic all over. In their only flagship store located in the heart of Orchard Road, you are privy to a beautiful panoramic view of the Orchard shopping district as you bask in a serene and chill café-like atmosphere as you get your hair game on.
Address: Mandarin Gallery #03-13
Telephone: +65 8133 0818
Pro Trim Hair Studio/ STYLE NA
Pro Trim’s founder, Tino Poh, is Vidal Sassoon-trained and he has built Pro Trim Hair Studio over the course of decades. As a result, he has earned the loyalty of a wide variety of clientele. Its flagship store in Ngee Ann City has been recently revamped, but the warmth and sincerity of their staff, an indispensable factor in Pro Trim’s enduring success, remains unchanged.
Four years ago, Pro Trim opened a subsidiary chain of salons, named STYLE NA Hair, which gathers a team of experienced Korean hair stylists specially trained in the most trendy hair colouring services and perms.
- Ngee Ann City (Flagship) #05-27 (Tel: +65 6235 5516)
- Causeway Point #04-17 (Tel: +65 6894 1386)
- JEM #04-55 (Tel: +65 6734 7883)
- Bedok Mall #B1-57 (Tel: +65 6384 9180)
- Compass One #04-03 (Tel: +65 6388 4247)
- Parkway Parade #02-67 (Tel: +65 6348 8035)
Salon #1 Hair & Beauty
Remember that warm feeling of going to a hair salon like you’re going back to your second home? This is what Salon #1 aims to let their customers feel, with their friendly staff offering a concierge-like service, delivering only the precise and flattering results that you want with no unnecessary frills.
- Bishan Blk 513 Bishan Street 13 #01-518 (Tel: +65 6258 3218)
- Ang Mo Kio Hub #02-04 (Tel: +65 6483 3528)
- Toa Payoh Blk 520 TPY Lor 6 #01-54 (Tel: +65 6258 3213)
- Hillion Mall #B1-03 (Tel: +65 6266 3218)
Vintage Studio understands that clients want something trendy, but yet personalised. To achieve that aim, they suss out clients’ personalities and hairstyle objectives and gel that with the latest trends in hair colour and styles. This is done at the expert creative hands of their well-trained hair stylists.
- Far East Plaza #04-44 (Tel: +65 6735 8123)
- Bugis+ #03-09 (Tel: +65 6634 3818)
- Bedok Mall #B1-45 (Tel: +65 6465 8321)
- Westgate #03-25 (Tel: 6465 9278)
- Punggol Waterway Point #01-37 (Tel: +65 6385 8455)
- Northpoint #B1-169 (Tel: +65 6556 2688)
Kimage’s philosophy? Celebrate individuality. In order to do that, they also need to know you better, so that they can craft a hairstyle that can exactly fit your personality and lifestyle. Kimage places importance on the rapport they build with their customers so that they can deliver the personal touch in their hair services.
- Kovan – Blk 204 Hougang St 21 #01-103 (Tel: +65 6281 2700)
- Toa Payoh Central – Blk 117 Toa Payoh Central #01-128 (Tel: +65 6256 2700)
- Plaza Singapura (Prestige) #03-07 (Tel: +65 6837 2700)
- I12 Katong (Prestige) #03-24 (Tel: +65 6743 2700)
- Marina Square (Kimage Cove) #02-321 (Tel: +65 6276 2700)
- Tiong Bahru Plaza #03-109 (Tel: +65 6271 2700)
- Northpoint #03-39 (Tel: +65 6752 2700)
- Tampines – Blk 201D Tampines St 21 #01-1149 (Tel: +65 6260 2700)
- Bt Panjang Plaza #03-20 (Tel: +65 6769 2700)
- Lot One #02-21F (Tel: +65 6766 2700)
“Different strokes for different folks” is the mantra firmly highlighted in NK Hairworks’ philosophy. The entire chain of salons and their whole host of stylists channel the salon’s vision of providing gorgeous hairstyling with passion and enthusiasm. Their stylists are also constantly improving their creative eye and skills by learning through international exposure.
- Parkway Parade #01-63 (Tel: +65 6344 0505)
- Anchor Point #B1-22 (Tel: +65 6476 6638)
- Whitesands #03-24 (Tel: +65 6584 6403)
- NEX #B2-56 (Tel: +65 6634 4866)
- Hougang 1 #01-08 (Tel: +65 6881 9828)
- The Seletar Mall #03-21 (Tel: +65 6702 2959)
- Plaza Singapura #B1-14 (Tel: +65 6336 4220)
mǐ the salon/SALON VIM
mǐ the salon has been making waves amongst beauty junkies since it opened here – and for good reason. It’s actually opened by the Salon Vim group, already well-known and well-loved here in Singapore, and it utilises a new lifestyle concept.
Hairstyling isn’t just about your hair. mǐ the salon aims to be a one-stop, holistic wellness salon that goes beyond just offering hair services to their customers. From nail care to makeovers, you can find everything you need at mǐ the salon.
The salon’s team of highly trained stylists will first analyse each customer’s needs and objectives, and make custom recommendations based on their expertise and years of experience. Each hair makeover journey is personal to you.
- mǐ the salon ION #03-19 (Tel: +65 6884 7757)
- Salon Vim Wisma Atria #02-01B (Tel: +65 6734 6404)
- Salon Vim Bugis 235 Victoria Street (Tel: +65 6837 0073)